Thursday, September 4, 2008

Givers and takers

With my church callings, my work and my personal activities, I attend a lot of meetings. This gives me the opportunity to meet a lot of people. Among these people, I have seen two distinct personalities. The first personality type is demonstrated by people who always lift spirits and motivate others to be better. The second personality is typical of people that wear their friends out with their contstant complaining and criticizing. The first group is always a pleasure to be with. The second drains one of energy. The first is surrounded by people who enjoy their company. The second ends up alone and discouraged.
In a meeting I recently attended I heard someone share how they were frustrated by the apathy and incompetence of the people around him. He heard of a new approach he was trying. He went into a fast food restaurant that had been slow and inaccurate. He told them what a pleasure it was to do business with them and that he enjoyed coming into their establishment. He said that he can now go into that business and get the service and accuracy he expected. He said he got better results by being positive than he did by finding fault.
When I was teaching, I had a discipline plan one year that advocated catching students being good. That was a good year. I had my share of problems, but two things were different. My students were looking for things to please me and I was looking for things that they were doing well instead of the things they were doing wrong. Our perspective was altered and so was their behavior.
I would like to think that I can motivate others to be better. I want to have friends who seek out my company, but I am at times overcome with my need to have a pity party. The need to heap my problems up onto the shoulders of my friends wins out over my desire to be positive. I can be quick to find fault with the people around me and let my opinion be known. I then wonder why I am frustrated and alone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kent, I have been around you for a long time and I have never known you to be a negative person. I, for one love being with you. I have seen you grow and learn from the past and to be a kind and gentle person. I think you are great.

Andrea said...

I agree with Grandma! When I need to be uplifted I find that you are the one that usually makes me feel 100% better!!!

We all have our moments when we want to complain and not see what we can do to make situations better. I find that I am like that a lot right now only because I don't know what to do next. I do know that my daddy is more positive than he likes to admit and maybe, just maybe I could help him by showing him more that he is a positive influance in my life!

I LOVE YOU DAD!!!!!

Danette said...

Have you ever watched the movie or read the book "The secret" Its talks about the theory of the law of attraction. After watching it I have consciencely (I hate that this program doesn't have spell check.)that of what I want to attract in my life. It talks about being positive, it was a good watch. Especially for me, a half-empty girl.
IF you see it let me know what you think.

Larry said...

There is no such thing as half empty.