Thursday, February 18, 2010

A picture is worth a thousand words


I have been gathering information about my family for years. I have known dates and places, but my ancestors are in a big part unknown to me. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes, however, it just opens more questions.

This is a picture of my great grandfather, William Thomas Beals. I never knew him personally. I can look at this picture and see hints of the faces of other family members.

The picture to the right is of my paternal grandfather, Charlie Bertie Vance, his brother, Luther Monroe Vance and some of their cousins. We get hints from their pictures about their lives and their interests. Stories to go with those faces would be so very valuable. Once in a while, I hear one their names mentioned, but I am hungry to know more about them.


I've occasionally heard my mother speak of Dad's grandmother, Julia Emeline McClurd, but to me, she was no more than a name and a few facts about her life. This picture to the left makes her more "alive" to me. Although the image is not really clear the photograph sends my imagination racing. What kind of life did she lead? What was she known for.



When some think of pioneers, they think of the Mormons that came across the plains in covered wagons and handcarts and eventually to the valley where our family grew up. This couple came from North Carolina with other families who left the southern states in search of religious freedom. They came in trains. Some of their families stayed in the San Luis Valley, and some moved on to settle in Arizona.

My wife has inherited some of her mother's many photo albums. It is fun to go through the pages of the old albums in an attempt to get to know her better. My favorite is one of her climbing a clothesline pole wearing a dress. It gives us a glimpse of her tom-girl need to compete with her brothers.

I love listening to the stories that always are shared when we get together as a family. They help to engrave in my mind and on my heart memories of the tender relationships that exist in our family.

4 comments:

Kent said...

I'd like to thank Gloria and her cousin for sharing the most recent pictures of the vance family. I was so excited to see them and will cherish them for years to come.

I'll look through the pictures to see if I have any more vintage pictures, and would appreciate any that people are willing to share.

Unknown said...

I knew most of the people in the pictures that Gloria posted on the blog. I will try to tell about some of them.

Mary Arminda Vance Goodge was Arlo's aunt. She told me that when her family joined the church and traveled to Colorado, she became very sick. Before they left their home in the South, three of her siblings died on the same day, with a sickness that was going through their area. Mary said that her mom wanted to take her back to their old home because she thought she was dying and wanted to bury her with the her other children. When she told me this she was in her 80's. She was a sweet lady.

Kent said...

Mom, please tell me what you know about Charles Bertie Vance. He died five years before I was born and two years before you and Dad were married. Did you ever know him?

Unknown said...

I didn't ever meet grandpa Vance. I know I must have seen him, because his pictures look familiar to me. I only know the things that their family told me about him. I know he was a hard man on his children. especially the boys. I know that he loved his grandchildren. Sorry I can't tell you more.