Saturday, August 30, 2008

The most wonderful feeling

As we drove to Manassa this morning, my head was flooded with memories. I was feeling anxious about the funeral. There were members of my family that I hadn't seen for over three decades. I took my camera today thinking that I would have some pictures to post to the blog when we got home. If the success of the trip were measured by the number and quality of pictures taken, it would have to be considered a failure.
As we arrived at the Church house in Manassa, the parking lot was almost empty. I felt encouraged when I recognized Don and Gloria's PT cruiser. We parked by them and went into the building. It was empty except for the organist who was taking advantage of a few minutes to practice before everyone came. We were asked by a kind gentle man if we were going to the mortuary for the final viewing. We decided to follow him and his wife to the Mortuary that was just a block away.
The crowd on the porch of the building was promising. I could see my sister in law, Gloria, my brother, Don, my sister, Bonnie, and Mom. They greeted us warmly and we all went in to meet Aunt Mike's family. Each of them was so kind and warm. They were grieving, but they were gracious and thinking of others.
The funeral was uplifting and inspiring. Tears were shed as family members shared poetry, memories and testimonies. Those participating in the program shared their love for a wonderful woman who had taught them by the life she lived. Her grandson reminded us that just as there would be a reunion of family after the funeral, there would be a reunion on the other side with family that had been separated for years. I have never had a more effective lesson on Heavenly Father's plan of happiness.
When we returned to the chapel after the grave side service, I had another lesson on what is important. My camera sat on the table as I visited with my cousins, their children and their other cousins who had also come to bid farewell to a common loved one. The people in that room, were all one family linked by our love of Aunt Mike. To me, there is no feeling more wonderful than feeling I belong to a family. That feeling cannot be photographed, but today it's keeping me warm. Tomorrow it will be engraved in my heart.

4 comments:

Kent said...

We missed you, Larry and Jeanette. I wish that you could have been here too, but we certainly understand why you couldn't.

Gloria said...

It was nice to see you and Betty at the service. I was afraid you might of got lost so Becky and I went walking over to the church when we saw you walking over. I happen to know the procedure since I had experienced it a week earlier where we did the same thing.

Kent said...

It was good to see you there even if it was just a short visit.

I put your blog entry "Family 2008" in draft status because it is currently not working. When you make your video public, you can just republish it.

Unknown said...

The time at the funeral was special, I hadn't seen Randy, Sue or Leslie for many years. Their families were great. Sue and Leslie both have very good children and families. It was good to spend a short time with you and Betty. I never feel that we have enough time together.