Saturday, October 18, 2008

What's a Family for anyway?


My first memories of family were family outings. Some had a purpose, some did not, they were just outings. We went camping together, we went to church together, we worked together, at times, we just hung out together. I've wondered at times what the purpose of families anyway?

Today my family is gathering for a special purpose. They are celebrating my Mother's 80th birthday. We're not all there, but we would be if we could. We all want to tell he we love her, and in a way express that same love for each other.

Dad loved the mountains and we loved going together in the mountains. We went on some outings that required that we all stretch ourselves. We worked together, we played together, we laughed together, we rested together, and together we would meet our goals. When one of us was tired or discouraged we were encouraged by the other members of our family.

For some of us, life has been hard. We have made choices that had consequences for us and for those we loved. We had loved ones die. We have sometimes had angry words with one another, but there has never been a question that we were loved and that we belonged to a wonderful family. I have never felt that I was unwelcome in a family member's home.

There was a time when the choices I had made in my life had left me feeling that there was very little hope and that I had very little value. During those times, I would visit my little brother and his family. He would call his wife and all seven of his children into the living room, and we would visit. He would put his arm around me and pull me to him as he said to his children, "This is my brother and I love him." That little gesture would give me the strength and courage to get back out there and keep trying to get my life in order.

I think in this we find the purpose of families. I believe that together we are stronger than any one of us is individually. I, like Nephi of old, was born of goodly parents. I have parents, siblings, a spouse, children, and grandchildren that love me. They love me for who I am. That love has never been conditional. That love has helped guide my life and keep me trying to overcome my faults and be a better man.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Today was a wonderful day. My three sons were not here, but all sent their live and beautiful flowers. I felt loved and honored. It was a beautiful day, Bonnie and Gloria worked hard to help me get my house together. I can not thank them enough. I got special notes from several of the family and I thank them. I am like Kent. I feel the love of family and know that that is very special. Love all of you Grandma

Larry said...

Amen.