Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vanishing treasures

I have spent the last week going through an envelope of histories and photos sent by my mother, Gatha Wilson. I feel a real sense of urgency after having gone through them. One of the precious treasures was a journal entry from my father, Donald Arlo Vance's journal. I would like to share that entry dated October 2, 1982 here.

"Tho it seems almost to late to start a journal at my sunset years in life. I will relate to it as building a house. Starting from the ground going up, but being able after building the frame work to work on all sides and ends. I was born as the third son and fifth child (of ten children) of Charles B. Vance better known as Charley and Rosey Verdeame (Beals) Vance better known as Verdie both being members of the church and very lovable and spiritual. Being the 5th child I was followed by three more brothers and two more little sisters. My older brother being the first living child of that union was named Charles Melvin Vance going by the name Melvin. Altho being somewhat younger than Melvin was always very close as we were growing up remembering a lot of good times and some sad -- next comes Isabell my older and very lovable sister who was only 18 mo's younger than Melvin. Next comes Alta May 19 monthes younger than Isabell a very delightful and lovely sister.... Next is Earl Leslie being two years younger that Alta (all of which have passed qway.) Next being yours truly, four years younger than Earl being born July 20, 1922 in a small saw mill near a small settlement named Patacka, New Mexico not far south and west of Tres Piedras, New Mexico. My father and mother moving from Patacka when I was a small child to my fathers homestead in a small settlement called Fox Creek located on the Conejos River, seventeen miles west of Antonito, Colo. up at the mouth of what is known now as the Massey Canon. There is a younger brother Alva Ernest who being only two years younger than myself and sometimes bigger or I should say huskier than myself who at the time we were younger was of a slighter build but was always able to talk Alva into doing most of the mischief when we were together. Next was Betty Lorrain two years younger than Alva. Next came Jessie Lavern who was like myself being of slight and slim build and could talk a blue streak from the day she was about 8 months to the present time. Now along comes Richard Stanley who also like myself was freckled and sandy haired who as a small boy went to live with my sister Alta after my father died when Richard was around 10-12 years old. Next and last my baby brother Maurice Wayne who died at about 1/12 years of age."

Every single member of my father's family has now passed away. Although they are gone, we have stored in our minds vivid memories of them and of our interaction with them. If we don't share them, they will be gone. I would like to invite you in the coming months to share the memories that you have of them so that their histories will be alive and real for our children and theirs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Kent. You are right. If you don't write your own memories, they will be lost, too. There are precious things to be remembered.

Anonymous said...

Hey I recently read your article on here and realized that you are related to me.. My dad is Richard Stanley Vance. Will you please email as I would like to find out more information! My email is vancesamanthal@yahoo.com! I would really appreciate your email! Thanks Samantha Vance

Anonymous said...

I am Samantha Vance's younger sister, Barbara (Vance) Deardorff. I was told by our mother that Samantha had found this blog and that it really was relation of our dad. I was very skeptical about this until I was shone the reply you sent to my sister. I cannot believe to have finally found more of Dad's family. My two sisters' and I have always thought the Vance's did not want anything to do with us as they must have known we existed and yet we never heard from any of the Vance's, even after he died. I have never been able to understand this. I too am like the genealogist in the family and have a huge part of the Vance family included in it, but have never really felt like this was our family I was researching. It was like researching a family line belonging to someone else. Anyway, I just wanted to put my thoughts down, and at least contact you as my sister has done.

Kent said...

Barbara, I feel bad that you felt that the family did not want you. For my part that is not true. I knew that Uncle Richard had married, but I don't even have your mother's name. I didn't know he had more children. I am so excited to get to know you. I am excited about being able to share my family records with you.

For what it's worth, there have been times in my life that I felt unwanted too. We both have an opportunity to change that feeling.

If you will send me your email address and mailing address to rkentvance@gmail.com, I'll send you some copies of our family history and invite you to join this BLOG as an author.

You might also want to take a look at my Mother, Gatha Wilson's, BLOG at http://tedandcora.blogspot.com/
She has been writing her memories.

I look at your picture and I can see your resemblence to other family members. In my head and in my heart, there is no doubt that you belong.