Thursday, April 10, 2008

Eric, Kempo, Debra



Eric and Debra have taken advantage of a service that is being offered by Brother Owens in the ward. He teaches a martial arts course for free at the church on Wednesday evenings at 6PM. He was a coach and teacher at Midway for several years.

Debra has practiced her kempo skills on me a couple times. I have grown leery of teasing her because she has given me a groin kick and a palm to the nose on two occasions. After both she was immediately apologetic and I believe it was just reflex.



Yes, that is what the palm of her hand looks like up close.



Debra informed me that the motion below is a block.

It doesn't look like blocking.



This is a picture. That is what Debra says. They are all pictures.





9 comments:

Kent said...

I've never heard of kempo. Where does it originate from?

Larry said...

Kempo is a martial arts style. I don't know the origin, but it is like karate. A couple Mormon missionaries returned from the East and taught kempo. That is what Debra says.

Kent said...

Is the art work Debra's art work?

Larry said...

The artwork is original Debra Vance production.

Kent said...

I thought I recognized her in the drawings.

Oh, how I wish that I would have gotten training with art as I grew up. I might have been able to do something worthwhile with it. I was too afraid of failing with it and as a result, I failed to develop a talent I could have really enjoyed.

Kent said...

I found an interesting article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Kenpo
Is this the same martial art?

Larry said...

I think this is the same kenpo.

Kent said...

Since the posting of this article, I have noticed several places where Kenpo classes are offered.

Robert was into martial arts when he was in high school too. He was going tai kwan do.

Larry said...

Debra has had her last session for a while. She is going to spend the next couple months in Idaho.