Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Delbert passed away in October


I got a message from Carrie Collier Martinez via facebook asking me to call her so that she could tell me what happened to her Dad. My curiosity got the best of me and I called. I had sent her some genealogy some years ago, but it was returned and I thought I had lost contact with her.
Carrie told me that Delbert had passed away on the 29th of October in Iowa. Carrie's family brought him home to Salt Lake and he's buried there close to his family.
The picture to the right is of Delbert and his mother, Betty Laraine Vance Luster.

The picture to the left is of Delbert, Donnie, Uncle Richard and Grandma Vance. I suspect that this picture was taken in 1946. I don't know where the picture was taken. Possibly, it was in LaJara. I believe this is the only picture we have of Grandma Vance.

Delbert was the oldest of the Vance grandsons. RaeDean Barber (Howey), and Norene Summers were older than him.
Donnie is the only person in this picture that is still alive. Uncle Richard's son, Gerald lives here in Colorado Springs. I ran into him recently when Betty and I were out shopping.

Mom's photo albums had this page of pictures of the Luster Family. Delbert it lounging in the center.
Delbert's sister Diane died some years ago as did his brother, Ronnie. I don't know anything about Harold.
These pictures bring back a lot of memories to me of the Luster home south of LaJara, Colorado. We spent a lot of time with the Lusters. Sometimes, we had fun, and sometimes we got into trouble. When we got into trouble, Delbert always got the worst of the punishment. I never could understand why things had to be so hard for him.
For a while, Delbert stayed with Mom. He really fought depression.
I was really grateful when Delbert's family came to a family reunion in Sandy, Utah and we got an opportunity to know them. I wish we knew them better.

4 comments:

Gloria said...

If Donnie is in the picture it was probably 1947, since that is the year he was born.

Anonymous said...

Hello family.... This blog thing is new to me. My father passed away October 29,2007 in Mo. I tried for a while to find Kent to let you all know. For some reason I was thinking of Kent the other night and so I Googled him and found his face book. I was never on face book. That too is new for me. We had known for a while that my father was really ill. The nursing home would call to let me know what his status was. When we laid him to rest we as his children felt a since of peace. He is with our Father in Heaven and it is out of our hands. We all said our good buys and all of us are at peace with him. It is nice to have him here to have a place to visit. I so wish things with my father would have been different. He and I both missed out. He has three son in-laws 7 grandchildren. I think that number 7 is the cutest.... That would be Nathaniel. He is my little boy. Well he is not that little. :)9 months and he weighs 23 pounds and 5 oz. I will forward the blog to my sisters and brother. I am sure they would love to talk. I am so greatful that I listened to the spirit. Please lets all keep in touch. Family is so important and life is so short. I will send photo's of our family here in Salt lake. Hope you are all doing great.
Love,
Carrie

Kent said...

Thanks for keeping me straight. I know that was born in 1948 and Don is 18 months older than I. My math was flawed.

Kent said...

Carrie, you may want to start a blog for your brother and sisters. It would be a good place for us to get acquainted with each other. I really enjoy the ease with which we can share photographs and memories.

If you start one, Carrie, let me know and we'll link to it.