Saturday, January 24, 2009

Point of View

Many years ago, I went home teaching with Terry Golly. Terry was a very athletic fellow and loved motor biking. I didn't share Terry's interest in sporting activities. One month, we went together to visit the Trapp family. We had a nice visit with them, and I cannot remember what we talked about. I do remember my conversation afterwards.

As we left, Terry asked me if I had seen all those trophies. I didn't see any trophies, and asked him if he had seen their beautiful piano. He didn't see a piano. When we went back to visit them the next time I watched carefully to see the trophies that had caught Terry's eye. Where do you suppose they were? They sat right on top of the piano! We each had seen what we were interested in.

I believe that sometimes I am still like that in the way I view the world. I am drawn in by the things that peek my interests.


6 comments:

Larry said...

Your focus determines your reality.

Kent said...

So for the man who works in Quality Assurance, the world is full of flaws, and for the poet, everything exists in rhyme and meter. The printer's world black and white. The painter's world displays a brighter pallet. The musician's world in syncopated. The Doctor's world is sick. The lawyer's world is contractual, the librarian's is factual, and the computer world is virtual. We can choose to enjoy just a bit of each.

Larry said...

I had never really considered that each profession had such a distinct view of things in the world, but as you suggest, I can see the truth of it. It does pay to have a broader view of things than just the myopic little piece that is in our current focus.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Thank you for your insight and persistence on putting your thoughts and feelings into words.

Gloria said...

I appreciated that reminder. I know for a fact that two people can go thru the same experience and both see the experience differently.

Kent said...

You've given here a perfect example of a positive sandwich. Thank you for the reminder of the importance to stay focused on what's important. I really enjoy communicating with all of my family.

Andrea said...

I like to watch you communicate! :-D