Sunday, December 28, 2008

John Robert Dyer and Barsheba Tharpe (Part 6)

Valley of the Terrapins, Slow and Steady Wins the Race
adapted from a manuscript by Nancy Mildred Beals DeWitt
(Part 6)

John James Dyer came next in 1851. He first married Elizabeth Ferroba Spears, but then they separated and he brought his little boy James Wesley to live with my Grandmother Elizabeth Frances Beals when he was only 3 months old. Later John James married Mary Jane Luster and had one little boy David Robert born in Tennessee. They joined the LDS church and went to Colorado in March of 1889 with the other folks. They had four more children in the next six years. A little girl, Mary, was born just six months after they got there. They had twin girls, Flaura and Laura two years later and a little boy John Leland born in 1894.

Just the next year, Uncle John James passed away leaving his young wife in a new country with five young children and a teen aged step son. Aunt Mary Jane's parents, David Luster and Emmaline Demaris Bowyer Luster, took their whole family with them to Colorado too. Mary Jane's mother died just before Mary Jane's last baby was born in 1894.

Uncle John James died the next year in 1899 and her brother Pat Luster's wife who was Barsheba Tate, who was Aunt Polly's daughter, died leaving a family of young children too. So that makes six grownup deaths in the little band that came from Tennessee in just a few years.

When my father, Charles Mitchell Beals, told me about Uncle John James death he said, "I remember my Uncle John James was real sick and he had terrible pains in his head and in his chest. I had to take a job out of town, so I went and him good-bye. I got on my horse and went on to work, but in a few nights I had a terrible dream and dreamed that Uncle John James had passed away and that they had to bury him without me being there because they didn't know for sure where I was or didn't have anyone to send after me on horseback. I felt so bad that I quit my job and went home. Sure enough that is what had happened. I felt so bad just like I did in my dreams. He had died of pneumonia." I have often wondered about the young children of John James.

Mary married and I met her in Colorado in 1946. She was a pretty, attractive woman. She died the next year in 1947.

Laura, I don't know anything about except she died in 1926.

Flaura was married and lived in Miami, Arizona in 1922. When Uncle Henley Beals died, Aunt Mildred stayed all night with here there. Flaura died in 1942.

No comments: