Saturday, July 26, 2008

Here is the story of my experience



HERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY:
I saw the other fishermen quitting to return to camp, so since he was fishing on the other side of the lake from where they met by the four wheelers, I decided to go meet with them. Igathered my fishing poles and equipment in hand then decided to walk back around the lake a little higher to meet the others so I would not have to tackle climbing over the thick dead fall around the lake, thinking it would be easier. After I had got away from the lake going up the hill a bit, I blacked out. Once I was back alert I became very disorientated knowing the trail and the lake were on my left hand side. I panicked and started walking (which was the opposite direction that I should of walked). It was around noon (the sun is straight over head), walking thru the very thick woods with lots of downfall. Then I realized that I was lost.

Scott and Elaum was looking at Frank’s catch for the morning and noticed me packing up thinking nothing of it and noting I was getting ready to walk back to the wheelers, where they were. Frank left. Soon about an hour, 45 minutes later. Scott and Elaum realized that I had not made it back yet. They started calling me and shot Scott’s 45 pistol Dillinger shooting 410 shot shell in the air hoping I would hear it and answer. Nothing…

I walked down off the rim which was close to the lake. There was no way of going back up for me after I got down. I realized later I turned west instead of east. I was now committed to make a plan. I said a prayer asking for help to be able to come up with a plan. I remembered what one of the lessons we taught in hunters safety class. I realized that he needed to S T O P**….which is part of the lesson taught. S - stop, T - think, O - orient, P - plan. I also remembered what Dad had taught me if he ever got lost in the woods -- to always walk downhill, which would lead to help, or water, where help would be. So now I had a plan and knew I was committed. I did have a lighter in my fishing back pack and a fishing pole, so if I needed to I could get food to survive.

I had not had anything to eat since breakfast. My food and more drink was at the wheeler. As I walked there was no turning around. once I was off the cliff there was no way Iwas able to climb up it…. I was committed. All I could think of was let those who were with me know that Iwas alright. I said a prayer asking that they know that I was alive and okay.

Whenever I got tired weak I would stop and take power naps and find a spring from which I felt was safe to drink. As I walked I came across several small springs where I was able to get water to drink at three or four locations. I had an empty pop can in my backpack. I untwisted it then used my snips made a cup to use to drink with. When it got dark I slept under the boughs of a pine tree.
I saw lots of wild life … a huge 6 point bull elk with a smaller one traveling with him; a hundred herd of deer with only a couple bucks. Once I was attacked by a Crouse when Igot close to her nest.

I did loose my new prescription glasses, my hat, and part of one of the fishing poles which I was carrying in my backpack. I must of laid my hat down, walked away before I realized it was missing. I must of lost my glasses when I fell thru a hole in a downed tree when the dirt gave way, I fell hard and my ‘chrome’ knee got bent under me stretching it, giving me a fright. I wasn’t about to go back into the thick downfall to find them once I discovered they were gone.

Once I got quite a distance I came across the road and decided to follow it, soon I recognized the area I was traveling in. It was very dark and I could not see far, thinking someone would eventually come by I traveled on the road so I wouldn‘t loose it. I decided to lay down in the road after midnight. Soon I heard a vehicle. A pickup came by I asked for help saying I was lost. About 12:56 am Casey Mulligan, along with a companion, called the cell phone number which Gloria had at camp leaving a message that he had picked me up and was taking me to Boulder. (However there was no reception so she didn’t get the message until after the deputy had arrived at camp about 6:00 am later that morning. ) Casey and his companion were out Geo-caching.

Casey had given me a ride to Boulder Town, where I bedded down on the lawn of the LDS Church with the firefighters until they could notify the Sherriff later that morning. The Firefighters gave me some food and water. Casey called the cell phone again after 1:00 pm and reported that I was in Boulder and was okay, a little dehydrated and was given food and water. The Sherriff was contacted and he said he knew about me since the search and rescue had contacted him. Afterwards the Sheriff picked me up and took me back to camp arriving between 6:00 and 6:30 am. It took a good hour to go on those dirt roads up and thru Hellsback Bone Canyon to where we were camped.
I just couldn't believe it would happen to me.

11 comments:

Gloria said...

Yeah... he finally made it and share his story...the picture posted on this post is what the country looked like where we camped.

Kent said...

I am glad you are OK. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

We love you,
Kent

Larry said...

In scouting they teach you to use the buddy system. I think that is a good idea.

Andrea said...

buddy systems work if you have a buddy with you, but when you don't....

Larry said...

I am glad that you are alive and well Donnie. Next time you should take a buddy with you.

Unknown said...

I am thankful that you madee it out ok. I feel sure tha t prayer was a help. You are very special to me. Thank you for telling us about it. Mom

Gloria said...

When one can see his buddy and walk around a small lake one wouldn't expect to get lost just going around the lake to his buddy. As he went up a very heavy dead wooded area to head to his buddies is when he blacked out... I feel it was due to his diabetes and not having any thing to eat for several hours. Thanks to all you shared their love. It was a freak thing that happened and we are glad he is well and here!

Kent said...

Donnie, diabetes can really effect things for you, can't they? I bet you have to be careful to not let your sugar levels get to low or too high.

Getting ill can sure be a pain in the butt.

Larry said...

Last scout camp I attended as a Scoutmaster I had a helper that is an insulin dependent diabetic. He went hypoglycemic and passed out as he was walking to get something to eat. If he had been 30 feet away from where people were we would never had know that he fell and was unconscious. He was administered some sugar under his tongue and then was given an IV by the camp medic. He recovered, but it could have been lights out.

I know this sounds a bit dramatic, but if someone would not have been there to notice that he was in need of assistance he could have been daisy fodder.

Gloria said...

It can be a scary business and needs to be controled, which it can, but is easy not to be on top. I know my brother, Robert, had to take two shots a day, and he didn't watch his diet as close as he should. It does make one more aware when we live with it.

Larry said...

Our time and place can come when we least expect it, or it may be that we are well prepared and ready. I hope I find myself in the latter position a few decades from now.