Monday, March 9, 2009

Constancy of Home

Manassa is a small community just one mile square. Growing up in Manassa was wonderful because our ward was something I could count on. The church was a place I went to worship together with my family, but it was also someplace that we went to enjoy our extended family and our neighbors. Fast Sunday, we would gather fast offerings. We attended Primary, Sunday School, Mutual, and Scouts together.

The old two story chapel is the backdrop for our family picture that appears on the Dunn BLOG. I remember how the basement would fill with water in the summer when the irrigation water was brought into town and the surface water level would rise. That chapel wasn't big enough to hold all of the church activities so we also had a Relief Society building, an opera building, a scout building and a Bishop's building. Eventually, we got a new building and we worked together as a ward and community to raise the funds and to build the building.

It wasn't the buildings that held the ward together, it was the people. The Bishop that I associate with my childhood is Donald J. Jarvies. His counselors that I remember were Boyd Brady and Tommy Rogers. They were all kind men. Don Knight was our scout master. I don't believe we appreciated him as we should have. He put a lot of effort into teaching us and preparing us for manhood. Cletus Gilleland was the bishop when I was getting ready to go on a mission. Denny Harmsen was my seminary teacher. Marilyn Harmsen and Lena Sowards were my piano teachers.

Neighbors in Manassa had a part in supporting each other in raising children. I remember milking cows for Dorothy and Shelton Sowards. We were grateful for that opportunity. The neighbors helped us put siding and roofing on our home in Manassa before Mom and Dad returned from their mission. When Dad passed away, Dion Jarvies called me and gave me the news and consoled me. I knew without a doubt that she cared for our family.

More than anything, I am grateful for the extended family in Manassa. The aunts, Elma, Doris, Hazel, Ethtel, Ruth, and Frances were all available to help us. Uncles Elmer and Edgar Dunn were my home teaching companions. They both set wonderful examples for me. I grew up with cousins that I loved and respected. Jack, Laraine, Pat and Mary Lyne were good friends.

The roots that I put down in Manassa are strong roots. I am grateful for my home town, my home ward and for the foundation built there for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kent, thank you for such a nice post.
It brings back good memories.

Kent said...

My memory isn't what it used to be. I remember Vaughn Sowards was our bishop once too. You should see his son, Kim's picture on Facebook. It looks just like his dad.