Saturday, March 15, 2008

Daddy's Shoulders

As Betty and I were coming home from the grocery store, we saw a family walking down the sidewalk. They were laughing and the father had a giggling burden on his shoulders. That took me back to my own childhood.
Most of the memories of my Dad were memories of a stern, demanding man, but there was one time that it was really different for me. Donnie was the one who usually got to go on hunting and fishing trips. One time, I was invited. I imagine that I was about ten years old. When we got to the camp and were beginning to set up, we realized that I left my sleeping bag home. We were in the mountains in winter and it was too cold for me to sleep without bedding. That night, Dad and I shared a sleeping bag. I was warm but I am sure it wasn't the most comfortable night for my Dad.
The next morning, we were off. There was a soft blanket of snow on the ground. It was beautiful to look at, but it wasn't so beautiful when we had to walk in it. I never did like the cold. We were hunting in the neighborhood of the old Vance homestead, near the family cabin on the Conejos River. Dad wanted to hunt on the south side of the river and that meant crossing the icy blue river by wading across. Dad scooped me up on his shoulders and carried me across. I can only imagine how cold his feet must have been, but mine were warm and dry.
Once on the other side of the river, we headed into one of the canyons that jutted up into the mountains. We came to the ruins of an old log cabin. In the corner of the floor of the cabin, you could see where a mountain lion had curled up to sleep. Dad signalled to me to be quiet. That was a hard thing for me to do, but I was able to this time.
We followed the tracks down the side of the canyon and across a small creek. They took us into the timber and changed direction. Still we followed quietly and steadily. Once again the path took a turn out of the darkness of the timber in into the light. Down the hillside we went until we and we crossed the creek again. It wasn't long until we were back at the ruins of the old cabin. I was a little confused as to who was hunted and who was hunting.
My little ten year old body was tired and I was hungry. We headed back to camp following our own footsteps in the snow. Back at the river bank, Dad hoisted me once again to his shoulders. The swift frigid water was shallow and we quickly crossed. It was so good to get back to the camp and the warmth of the campfire.
There were not lot of words exchanged that day. Hunting was serious business to Dad. Although few words were exchanged, I learned volumes. I learned to love and respect nature. I learned that wild life is to be respected. I learned that my Dad loved me and was willing to care for me.

10 comments:

Larry said...

I can relate to not going hunting or fishing with dad much. By the time I was old enough to go with him he had lost his gumption for extended trips.

I do remember going with him to Duck Lake once and going to Osier one time. When we went to Duck Lake we took fly fishing gear. Dad showed me how to lay the fly on the water carefully. We went out onto the "lake" with a lashed log raft. I caught some fish, but I think it was more because the fish were hungry that I was good at fishing.

When we went to Osier it was to go deer hunting. On the way into camp there was a herd of deer that crossed the road in front of us and was heading out into the timber. Dad slammed on the brakes and loaded his rifle and shot a buck from sitting in the driver's seat. There was not much hunting after that.

The most time I spent with dad was at the gas station. I owe dad a lot for his patience with me as I struggled to figure out what was really important in life.

Unknown said...

Your dad bought me a gun and I went deer hunting with him once. It was not the most fun for me. I enjoyed nature and being together, but the thought of shooting a deer didn't make me to anxious to hunt and they kidded me on my inexperience. I would rather have stayed in camp. I wasn't a very good hunting companion.
Mom

Kent said...

I wasn't the greatest of hunting coomanions either. I was too busy skipping rocks or picking berries or making a log of noise. There are times that I wish that I had it to do over again.

Larry said...

My children have all missed out on going out in the wild. We have camped and fished a bit with scouts, but not like dad did.

Andrea said...

I remember camping with my parents, and my cousins in the Valley. My kids haven't done any of that! :-(

Kent said...

June will give you a chance to change that. If you can, come and go with us to the reunion in Utah. We'd love to be with you there.

Unknown said...

Yes, come to the reunion. I am planning a lot of fun things. It is time to get acquainted with all of our family. The cabin we will be staying in is not far to a lake and trails to walk up the mountain. It is beautiful country.

Larry said...

Is there the possibility to catch fish?

Gloria said...

Larry, Don said yes in fishin'. If you need help with fishing poles or things so you don't have to bring it he will be glad to help. There is a small lake at Pine Valley. Just let us know.

Larry said...

I am not planning on bringing anything more than in necessary to make the journey. I am interested in just seeing family and enjoying myself.