Friday, March 21, 2008

I am missing my family

When my children were little, we got together as a family almost monthly. The center point was Mom and Dad's house in Manassa. We had Christmases and other holidays together, we went camping together. It was easy to feel connected and a part of things.

Time has changed that. We have moved further apart because of life events and employment. We don't get the opportunity to get together and chew the fat, so to speak as we used to. Some of our family is now in Utah, some in Colorado, and some in Texas. Brenda's family is in South Dakota, and Robert, Andrea's families are just a couple of hours away, but at times it feels as though it might as well be China.
I have really enjoyed reading the posts that have been added to the blog. I have enjoyed the pictures that have been added, and I have enjoyed the comments that have been appended to the posts.
For a short time, there was a flurry of activity that helped me feel part of the family again. I hope that isn't just a temporary flash in the pan.
I have really enjoyed the glimpses of each other's lives that this BLOG media has brought. I love it that Mom is sharing her memories and insights. Gloria's posts make me feel warm and help me see the lighter side of life. Don's little contributions are priceless. Danette's writing and photos have been wonderful. It's fun to see the pictures on Larry's and Jeanett's blog. You can watch their children grow up right before your eyes. You can see what their family is involved with now in a way that we couldn't do even when we got together regularly. I've enjoyed Andrea's posts. I think her photos are beautiful. Capturing them off of the blog is the easiest thing I have ever done!! I really do enjoy Andi's sense of humor.
I would like to do the same with my children that Larry has with his, but I no longer have pictures that I can share. I lost them in the divorce from Andi and Robert's mother. We do have old albums and Brenda's and Eddies's childhood and I do have boxes of slides that I need to get digitized so that they are usable on the internet. My old scanner isn't compatible with Windows Vista. I was frustrated today when I went into a photo shop to ask about the price of getting that done in bulk. They wanted two dollars a slide. I felt that was a bit prohibitive. I'll continue looking for a way to get them prepared.
I have not done well at posting every day as I was for a while. I want that connection with my family yet I have not been putting the effort into it that I was at first. I realize that the responsibility is mine. I can't sit back and wait for things to happen. I need to reach out and make an effort.
We are still looking for our digital camera. When it shows up, I promise you that you'll see more photos of our comings and goings.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Thank you for joining in with me in trying to be better at getting communication going. I have enjoyed not only the things others have done, but I have enjoyed what I have done. I have learned things that I never knew from mom. I am looking forward to learning much more. It is a good thing to have this information recorded. I have considered having it bound later.

Unknown said...

Kent, I agree with you that we are scattered and have felt that I have missed out on the lives of my grandchildren and my great grandchildren. I am still here and I do have a house where we could gather if things were a little easier. We are so scattered. It was fun to have Larry and Jeanette with me for Christmas. I have had to go to your homes for family to get together. I'm so thankful for the blog. I haven't seen Julie's Leslie and only seen Bradly once.
If I drove a car I would be able to go to some of the homes of my family, but that won't happen. I love all of you so much. Mom

Gloria said...

I think it is outstanding that the family is trying to keep in touch with each other -- the cyber traveling does keep us closer. I do wish I could get Don to post more, but he really enjoys reading what you have all put it. I know the Lord provides these special tools to help us keep in touch. May you all keep that spirit going and not get discouraged. I am trying to follow your example and get the Warren C. Family to do the same, but as is all things you have the STP ones (same ten people). Sending my love, gloria

Larry said...

I have tried over the years to communicate with my family. Sometimes it is discouraging to not know if the communication is received. Seeing as how I am weak and selfish, I want to hear back from people.

Our communications have served an alternate purpose also. The family letters that we sent over the years form a sort of family history. The originals were even written at times with that tack in mind.

I am thinking that this BLOG and the others are suitable for the same purpose. Not only can we capture current events (if people would post them), we can also recover from years past when there was no capture of the things that transpires (if some of us would post them).