Sunday, March 2, 2008

Family

It is such a special thing to come to Mom's and get to catch up on the latest additions to the blog.
Perhaps the greatest blessing in my life is my family......immediate and extended. Mom is my star!!! She is one of the greatest examples of Christlike love. She has always displayed a love for others. I remember her and Aunt Elma getting up at a very early hour and going to Blanch Sego's home which was about a block away from our house and spent many hours pulling her weeds and put them in the front of her house to burn. I remember Blanch calling Mom and showing anything but gratitude for their kind act, I told her that I wouldn't spend my time doing things for someone that did not appreciate it. Her response to me was that they didn't do it for praise or appreciation and that there was no end to the good that we could do if we were not concerned about who got the credit. She always could see the good in me even though I felt that there was none.

My best friend, Ramona McGinnis said that Mom was the best person that she had ever met and that she was a great source inspiration to her. Mom taught her to sew, cook and many other skills that I was personally not interested in at that time.

Dad had a big heart, I remember that at Christmas he always bought a gift for the widows that were in our home town; i
t may have been a box of chocolate covered cherries or a small glass dish, but he had a gentle side. He was a real practical joker, he could dish it out , but he didn't like others to do it to him. He taped my eye lids shut when I was sleeping, painted my face with charcoal when I was asleep and when I sat by him at a meal time he was always hitting my elbow as I took a bite. He had an amazing ability to get close to animals and had them well trained. He would put candy sticks in his shirt pockets and they would find them and eat them. The pony would get his cap by the bill and take it off. His animals loved him. H e also had m well trained, when he came in the house I would take off his shoes, get his paper and retrieve a drink for him.

Donnie, Kent and Larry, do you remember him taking us out to go sledding on the snow packed roads in the winter in the deep hood of an old car. I also remember ice skating on the Conejos River. Dad went in front of us with a scoop shovel and would clear off the ice and probably check if the ice was solid enough to hold us.

Donnie was always so well liked by the people in the valley and I was so proud to have him be my older brother. My children and grandchildren all love him and Gloria so much because thy make them feel like they are each one their favorite.

Kent was one of my best friends and I thought he was truly the best brother in the world. Remember skating at the town pond? We would skate together to "Put You Little Foot", and we would turn and skate the other direction. I thought we were good enough to be part of the"Ice Capades". We played duet at Adam State College, our contribution was "Glow Little Glow Worms". We both took music lessons from Lena Sowards.

Larry was the "Brains " of our family. For some unknown reason, he got my share also. Maybe I traded him for his charm...that is a joke of course.

I adore all of my nieces and nephews and one of my greatest motivating factors is to be eternally linked to each and every one of my family.

I love my children and grandchildren and Emery is my greatest blessing.

Gloria, Betty and Jeantte are the sisters that I wished for from my youth.

-- Bonnie

6 comments:

Larry said...

So you were mom's favorite? ;o}

Kent said...

We all know that you are the favorite. You got away with things the three of us boys would never have attempted. You know, I think Donnie and Gloria are right. Each one of my nieces and nephews is my favorite.

It is so nice when you post.

I can't say that I remember riding on the hood of a car. I do remember riding on truck inner tubes and home made sleds. I'm getting old enough that I am having a hard time distinguishing what we did all the time from the things we said we did all the time. Were the same? I don't know for sure.

Larry said...

I remember seeing the old 41 Ford hood tuned over and kids piled into the hood. I think it was dad that would pull the hood down the road behind a vehicle. He would take it out of town toward the Salazar home outside of town.

Gloria said...

I know that Aunt Bonnie is a favorite of several Nieces and Nephews. She is always special. I enjoy the times when she would share with me spiritual experiences, and doing things together ... sharing time and talent.

Unknown said...

I know that the boys feel that Bonnie is my favorite. She is my favorite daughter. Each of you boys are my favorite sons. I don't feel I am partial to any of you. I love each of you in your own special way. I don't think that I play favorites. I have lived in closer proximity to Bonnie in the last few years and that does make me spend more time together. I love each of you more than you know.

Mom

Larry said...

:-) smiling; agreeing
:-D laughing
|-) hee hee
|-D ho ho
:-> hey hey
;-) so happy, I'm crying
:'-) crying with joy
\~/ full glass; my glass is full
;-) winking; just kidding
;-> devilish wink
:*) clowning
:-T keeping a straight face
:^D "Great! I like it!"
8-] "Wow"
:-o "Wow!"
(::()::) bandaid
:-( frowning; boo hoo
:( sad
:-< really sad
:-c really unhappy
:-C really sad
&-| tearful
:' crying
:'-( crying and really sad
:-| grim
:[ really down
:-[ pouting
\_/ "my glass is empty"
>:-< angry
:-|| angry
:-@ screaming
:-V shouting
:-r sticking tongue out
>:-< absolutely livid!!
:-P nyahhhh!
:-> bitingly sarcastic
:~/ mixed up
%-) braindead
(:I egghead
<:-I dunce
=:-) hosehead
:-] smiling blockhead
:-[ un-smiling blockhead
|-O yawning
|-I asleep
:-6 exhausted; wipeout