Friday, May 2, 2008

Courting and Marriage

Nona , my good friend was dating Moine Provost, he and Arlo came to the school when it was just out and asked Nona and me to go for a ride. That was the first time I went with him and we went together often after that. I was a senior in high school. We dated for three months and were married on the 30th of March 1946. I went to school 2 months after we were married, so I could graduate. Arlo had just gotten out of the army the first time we dated. He didn't have a regular job. He drove a truck for Uncle Lute Vance part of the time.

7 comments:

Larry said...

What did you think of him? Did you kiss on your dates? What did you do on your dates?

Kent said...

What about Dad made you want to date him again? Where did you go on your first date?

Unknown said...

That was so long ago that I don't remember where we went, probably to a movie. That was what we did most of our dates. I don't remember if he kissed me. He was good looking and treated me very well. I had known him some earlier. I knew Betty and Jessie and Richard, because I went to school with them, but I don't think Arlo was going to school then. I was attracted to him right away.

Larry said...

What was attractive about him? Was it the red hair?

Unknown said...

He was good looking and was anxious to do anything that I wanted to do. Nona and Moine dated with us sometimes. There weren't a lot of places to go then and gas was rationed. 62 years is a long time to remember things, unless there was something special. I was very young and foolish. Marrying at 17 is foolish. Though there were advantages. We were empty nesters young and there were a lot of things that we were able to do that we didn't do when we were young. Going on a mission together was good and when I helped in the garage, we enjoyed each other.

Kent said...

I wonder if we will see gas rationing again. If we do, will we see more 17 year old girls marrying good looking young men that are willing to do things to please them?

Larry said...

History will repeat itself. We will see the pendulum swing.