Friday, May 9, 2008

Our Wedding

Arlo and I were married on the 30th of March 1946 in Grandma and Grandpa Dunn's home. We were married in the same spot that my Mom and Dad were married. Arlo had said he didn't want too many at our wedding. I didn't invite Nona and forever after I was sorry that I didn't. She was a very special friend. Grandma Dunn made arrangements for music and food and it was a very special occasion. Grandma Vance was the only one Arlo invited and He should have invited his sister, Isabel.
It was just after the end of World War II and stockings were almost unheard of because nylon was not available for private use. Aunt Ruth worked for a clothing store and was able to get me a pair of nylons. The boys threw wheat, (not rice) at us and got it on the running board of the car, (the model A), and I slipped on it and tore my nylons.
We spent our honeymoon at the little cabin at the bottom of the hill below our present cabin. We rode horses to the top of the mountain through Fox Creek Canyon. That is where Arlo and the hunting crew often camped to hunt deer. We heard the horses sound upset in the night and Arlo said that there were tracks of a mountain lion around the cabin. I still love to go to the river, which runs by the cabin at the bottom of the hill, where our cabin is.

5 comments:

Larry said...

I remember dad used to tell about the night that the cougar was on top of and around the cabin while you two were inside. He said that the sound that the cougar made was just like a woman screaming.

Kent said...

He also told us that the lion's scream put your hair on end...

Red said...

I can veryify that there were mtn lions in that area because we found tracks on top of the roof of the old cabin once. There is still something very special about Massy canyon which is the canyon just above the Dunn cabin.

Kent said...

I know there are lions too. I'll tell another true story about lions near Fox Creek. Watch the blog this weekend.

Larry said...

When I worked at the Waterton facility for Martin Marietta a co-worker saw a cougar dragging a deer off the parking lot down into a little ravine between buildings.