Friday, May 30, 2008

I've Loved You, Children


I love you children, Papa said
Tonight I'm tired. I'm off to bed.
When tomorrow comes I'll write to you.
There are many chores too much to do.

I love you children, said Daddy dear
A week then passed, a month a year.
The writing today was just not done
Work took my time till the setting sun.

I love you children, with all my heart
Oh how I'd love to share my part
Then each of you married and went your way
I wanted to share my love today.

I've loved you children, again he said
Four sweet children each bowed their head
With tear stained cheeks each one cried
The letter never came before he died.

Kent Vance

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Kent, I really like your poems. That one sounds just like me. I haven't kept in close enough contact and time has taken me away from my grandchildren. I almost don't know some of them, only by name and some association. I have tried to keep in contact, but when I write I don't hear back from anyone. I feel at fault for not keeping close enough. I hope the reunion helps.

Kent said...

One of the things I like about poetry is that we can read it and apply the message to our own lives.

I am terrible at writing letters. This poem in a way was a message to myself and in another way, it is a lament that Dad lived and died and I have only one letter from him. I would have loved to have a better connection with him.

Gloria said...

I was thinking about Arlo when I read this poem. I know he loved you and wanted to let you know, but wasn't sure how to tell you in words. It makes tears come to my eyes... tears of love of a father to his children and yet the longing of a child to hear those words as well. good job.

Larry said...

I love you.

Kent said...

Thank you, Gloria. In my case the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. I feel the love for my children, but I could do a better job of expressing it.

Larry said...

Sometimes it is difficult to convey to another what you really feel. Love is not always a function of high passion. I desire the welfare of many people that do not know that I have that desire for them.

Words may not express well what one feels.