Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Remember when ....

Some of my earliest memories are of when we lived across the street from Maggie Weston. I remember going over and helping her grandchildren in the chicken coups. Do you know what the white stuff is in the chicken droppings? They are chicken droppings just like the rest of it.



Well, anyway, back to the memories. Bonnie and I were playmates. We would climb up the apple tree in the front yard. The back yard was a vast field. There was a small corral and a small shed in just behind the house. I believe it used to be a pigpen with a little building. We would go out and play in the pen. Bonnie threw a can over the shed and hit me in the head. I bled.

Another time I remember being out in the back with no shoes on and I stepped on a stub left from a weed that was cut. The stub went through my foot.

After that I remember walking on the top wire of the fence that was the boundary between the back lot and the Parker's. I fell and snagged on a barb. I still have the scar.

I vaguely remember the kitchen and front room. There was an oil stove and a wood stove in the kitchen. The weekly baths were taken in a tub that was put in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Dad worked at Conejos County Gas and Oil. He worked for Boyd Pagett, mom;s uncle.

We would move soon to another home. We moved to an old home across the street from Boyd and Elma Pagett, just around the corner from CCG&O. Well that is a story for another day.

6 comments:

Kent said...

I remember the house across from Maggie Weston's house. It was there that Barbara White and her kids lived with us for a year.

Larry, wasn't it the hot water from one of those Saturday night baths that left the scar on your hip?

Andrea said...

I like that picture... BOY HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED! I sent dad an email about old gas stations that were still standing a couple weeks back. I can almost smell the station!

Gloria said...

I remember when Arlo stepped on a nail by the CCG&O the summer when the Larry Vance Family was staying with Grandma Vance! It went thru his shoe and in his foot! OUCH!

Kent said...

Andi, someone just sent me the email about the old stations again. Some of those pictures are neat.

I had forgotton about the smells of the station. How I hated it when my clothes, my skin, and my hair smelled of that place!!

I enjoyed the years that I worked there with Larry and Dad when Don was on his mission. It really helped me to see my Dad as in a good way.

Kent said...

Larry, the picture of the house was a nice addition. It looked better when we lived in it. There was a board-walk in front of it. It was in this house that Donnie and I were tied to the clothesline for not coming home from swimming lessons in Alamosa.

Larry said...

We took this picture one of the times that we visited Manassa for the 24th.