Saturday, January 26, 2008

Treasures

Today has been an emotional day for me in a really good way. I have been working hard at packing our office and trying to sluf off some of the rubbish that has collected in desk drawers and in book shelves. It's been hard to decide what to keep and what to discard.

Among the treasures unearthed today were three letters. The first was a letter to Andrea and Robert that was never mailed telling of my love for them and the frustration of not being able to see them. Another was a letter to Betty to reasure her of my love as she prepared to go through the temple with her Mom and Dad without me because I was not worthy to go with her. The third treasure was a letter from Larry at a time in my life that I was really hard on myself because of the poor choices I had made. These are three treasures that I'll always keep. It has been good to remember those times and realize that I have made progress in my life.

The love of my family has made all the difference in the world.

I didn't get all of the packing done that I had hoped to do today, but it has helped me realize that the greatest treasure I have is the love of my family. That is something you can't pack in a box or store in the cupboard. Althought I can't hold it in my hands, it can be mine forever.

5 comments:

Larry said...

Kent,

As I grew up you were a positive example to me in doing things in the church. I did not follow your example early on to my discredit. You have always been kind and generous with me. I appreciate your help and guidance.

I do not think that I am as confused as I once was. I love my family. I love you.

Thank you for being a good big brother.

Gloria said...

Kent, it is indeed great to realize that the real treasures in life are as you said not put on a shelf or that you can move from one room to another. I think you have gone thru some 'bumps' but are definately standing on the top of the hill being able to see further out. You are surely a blessing of example in the family. We are thankful to have you and able to share in that great love you have for your Savior and family. Thanks!

Andrea said...

Dad,

You are a positive exampe, as Larry has said! You've been there for me when I didn't think I had anyone else! WE'VE BOTH HAD OUR BUMPS in the road, and you are my ROCK!

I'm grateful that I've been able to have the time that I've had with you and I'm even more grateful that you are a part of my life.

When time passes and sometimes gets away from us you AND BETTY MOM always find time for us!

I LOVE YOU!

Betty Ann said...

Kent is definitely the treasure in my life. He is patient with me and can always calm me when I get in a panic. He is my strength.

My other treasure is my Vance family. Having no sisters or brothers has always been very lonely for me. The Vance family has accepted me and now I feel like I have brothers & sisters. What a treasure! I am grateful for that wonderful Andrea & Robert too.
When a Vance has a crisis, another Vance is there to help. You guys are awesome. Love ya, Betty Ann

Larry said...

I think you were the only one in our family that got Duty to God.