Friday, January 25, 2008

Visiting Family in the Valley

1980s at Uncle Don's

I remember staying with the cousin's in the Valley one weekend when we were younger.
Danette pushing me. "Wake up, wake up," coming out of slumber. She says... "The house is on fire!"
I lift my head and look toward the door. Uncle Don in his garments scurrying down the hall for a bucket to put out the flames! Very serious.... it was kinda funny! Flashes of light flickering from the passage, I should be headed for the door!

Thoughts never went to "this is it!" I didn't feel nervous or scared.

I put down my head and closed my eyes again.

I remember seeing the burn mark on the carpet for so long. It was a familiar feeling, warm.

5 comments:

Gloria said...

Oh My I! had forgot all about that. The ironing board cover had got into the pilot light of the furnance if I remember right and it was scary! We were very blessed and watched over! I'm glad it wasn't a bigger fire. I was glad Uncle Don was there.

Red said...

what happened was aunt gloria saw it in the mirror from our bedroom and started sceaming

Andrea said...

I DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING! JUST DANETTE, AND SEEING UNCLE DON RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE HALL! AND THE FLICKERING FROM THE HALL WAY!

Good thing it wasn't more serious because I would have been a toasty little girl! lol

Danette said...

I remember that. Keep the memories coming. I remember a cute blonde girl that would brush her hair for hours in front of the mirror. I never did that, at least not the combing part. Ha So why am I the one with thin hair?

Larry said...

That's not thin hair, this is thin hair.