Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Andrea Vance-Hurtubise-Dixon and Family Current Events

Uncle Larry asked me to write about some of the things that are going on with my family!

I don't know how to do that currently, I guess. Other than the regular hum-drum of our days, nothing is really "going on" with us!

Let me think.

Matthew is now a sophomore in high school. He is doing very well in school! Matthew's always been kinda quiet when it comes to friends and he usually doesn't really go anywhere. He's been coming out of that shell and going out to do more things with his friends. Luke seems to always tag along, not only because he likes hanging out with his bigger brother, but because Matthew's friends have siblings the same age as Luke! It's nice to see that they have a good relationship with each other and do things voluntarily with each other!

We found out in the fall, through a Kaiser doc, that Matthew MAY have scoliosis. Matthew had an appointment with an orthopedic doctor with Kaiser on Wednesday last week 01/30/2008. Doc says that it doesn't look like scoliosis, but rather another form of curvature to the spin. Scoliosis curves to the right, his curves to the left. He said something else may be going on to make it curve to the left and we now have to get an MRI done on his whole back, in three sections. I wasn't impressed with the doctor and I wish that I would have been better prepared with questions for him. But basically what I got from the visit is that there isn't any kind of treatment that would help it, other than surgery to fuse the spine. I DON'T WANT THAT FOR MATTHEW! He hasn't complained about his back hurting. I've always been the one worried about the "hump" on his back. I really need to get in gear and figure out what kind of exercises can strengthen his back so that he will not have a life of pain! I worry about the jobs that he'll be on his feet for long periods of time! I'm very proud of Matthew and his strengths!


Luke's in Sixth grade and has been struggling with school. I don't think that he's struggling with understanding the work, but completing his homework. Working full-time makes it hard to have the energy to stay on top of his school work and then having two homes and two different ways of dealing with his parents, he's manipulated us to believe that he's doing ok. After parent teacher conferences, and hearing ALL his teachers say that he's missing the majority of his work, that he's a smart kid, and they know that he can do 100% better, that he flies under their radar; I've made him keep a planner and then I've had to make him have his teacher's sign it so I know we are all on the same page! Matthew was always so disciplined in getting his homework done, I would take his word for it and Luke just isn't Matthew and I have to remember that! As far as I know, for the last month, he's been doing better. But he's been trying to get me to let him go to his friends houses, when I told him he had to show me for a month that he was doing better and progressing before he would have that priviledge. Other than school Luke is a sweet loving young man and I am very proud of him!


Ashleigh's in the first grade, loves school and is always playing like she's a teacher! I love to listen to her mimic her teachers and pretend to give lessons. She wears out her whiteboards writing her classmates names; writing math problems; practicing her spelling. She's had a little bit of trama this year just before Christmas, due to the death of a classmate. The story has gone national, I don't know if you've read about it or not!?


Jeff has the kids every Wednesday, Thursday and every other Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Those little breaks help keep us all sane. The kids need their Dad and he sure makes sure that he is there for them when they need him!


I myself am still at the same job I've been for 13 years now. I work for a Law Firm in southern Longmont. Our firm is making a move and it is way over due! Looks like we will be moving downtown.

5 comments:

Larry said...

This is really nice. Thank you for telling us a little about your family. We are so far removed in time and distance that it is difficult to keep up with what you are doing and how you are.

I really enjoyed reading the little that Matthew and Luke posted on the other BLOG.

Love Larry

Kent said...

Andrea, this newsey post is wonderful! It's nice to know what is going on with you.

I hope they can get to the root of what is going on with Matthew so he can take care of it.

Luke, take it from your ole grandpa, life is easier when you take the time to learn all you can and when you do as well as you can with school. It makes a big difference in dollars and cents when you join the work force.

Ashleigh, tell us all about what you'll be sharing in school!! How many candles will it be this year?

Gloria said...

I remember some other children doing their school work on a black board hanging in the kitchen of our home! Keep up the good work all of you. Andy, I bet you are learning a lot about law... It is good to have the knowledge everyone gains to help family. love you all, Your Favorite Aunt Gloria

Jeanette said...

Thanks Andrea. It is fun to hear about your family.

Larry said...

When I was in school in Manassa and at Centauri I was not a good student. I was praised by many of my teachers for being intelligent, but I did not apply myself to learning. If something interested me then I would study and learn. I am sure this was an issue that plagued my mother.

If I would have applied myself I could have done much greater things than what I have done. It is more difficult to build a house on a weak foundation. If my foundation would have been better constructed then I would have a better house.