Sunday, February 17, 2008

October Conference



October each year, for some years, Mom would go to conference. For one week we were on our own. Dad gave orders and we did what he told us to do. At the end of the week, Mom would return home all pumped up from and excited to tell us about her experience at conference.

She would always bring home books. I enjoyed reading a new book each year as she would try to find a book that was especially for each of us.

One year, I was home from the service and Mom was going to conference. I told her that I was especially interested in the book whose cover you see to the left. I have a soft spot for poetry, and this book of poetry was really special to me.

Mom was off to conference with the sisters from the church that she was travelling with. I went to conference that year with a group of youth. We went into Deseret Book and I saw this volume. I bought it. We ran into Mom on Temple Square. She told me that she had found the book for me and that she had bought it.

I didn't need the book any more since Mom bought it for me. I gave it away. Mom knew that I had the book and didn't need it any more. She gave her copy away. When we both got home from conference, she had a book for me, but it wasn't this one.

I told Betty about this story years later and she laughed and was touched. She bought this copy for me one Christmas. I have enjoyed sharing it's poems with my children at special occasions in their lives.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes life is a comedy of errors.
Arlo used to tell me that I didn't know how to cook fish. When I got home from conference one year you kids told me that your dad couldn't cook fish as well as I could.

Larry said...

Irony never ceases.

Andrea said...

Dad, That's the same book you shared the poem with me on the day I had Matthew?

Kent said...

Yes, it is. I love the poems and I love the illustrations.

Larry said...

And I love all of you.