Friday, February 1, 2008

My first day in a foreign country

The first day of of my mission in Mexico was one that I shall never forget. I had done quite well in the Language training mission in Provo. I really talked good Spanish with the other missionaries, but experiencing the language and the culture in Mexico was something that I was not prepared for!

I arrived in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon where everything moves at the speed of light. The bus stops were crowded and the bus stopped in a screaming cloud of dust. Everyone packed themselves onto the bus, and it launched itself in another cloud of roaring powder.

My first assignment was in Torreon, Coahuila.

I traveled there in anticipation and when I arrived, they spoke a version of Spanish that I could not understand. I felt helpless. I arrived in Torreon with the hope that there would be someone there to greet me, but there was no greeting party at the bus terminal. I had the address of my first companion scrawled on a slip of paper in my pocket.

I grabbed my suitcases and hailed down a taxi. The gentleman driving the taxi was kind, but he talked in a brogue that fell on my ears like jibberish. He helped me pack up my luggage and we were off.
When we got to the address, the windows on the west side of the building were boarded up, and my heart sank. I was in a foreign country where I couldn't understand the language and I was so unprepared for solving problems in a country where I could not communicate.

I handed my wallet to the driver and let him take what I owed him. When I think about that now, it makes me shudder. He could have really taken advantage of this foolish young gringo, but he didn't. He took only the fare and he handed me my wallet and drove away.

I was just about to succomb to my despair when the door of the house opened and my new companion came out to rescue me. What a wonderful feeling it was to have someone I could lean on that had been in the country for a while and could navigate the city so adeptly.

I went to bed that night much more secure and a little wiser. I had more faith in mankind because of the kindness of the taxi driver. I was now ready to embark on an experience over the next two years that would strengthen my commitment to my Savior, that would teach me about the goodness of the people in the world and that would enhance my gratitude for my own wonderful country.

6 comments:

Gloria said...

Is that Eddie Holland standing by you? I have a testimony that the Lord does take care of his missionaries/servants as they have the right spirit and movtive in tune with him. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Dee said...

It will get easier being in Mexico. We moved to Torreon about 2 years ago & then onto Monterrey last summer. It all seems overwhelming at first but there are some really good people there in Torreon if that is where you are to be on a more permenent basis. It may not seem so but Torreon is a very modern city. Good luck & God Bless.

Larry said...

Tell us more.

Larry said...

It is apparent that Dee does not know that the first day in Mexico occurred several decades hence.

It is exciting to read about your experiences.

By the way -- How do you say "pasta" in English?

Kent said...

Yep, that's Eddie Holland. He arrived at the Language training mission as I was about to leave. It would good to see him.

Who's Dee?

Larry said...

I presume that Dee found the blog through the keywords on your profile. I am sure she is totally unconnected to us.