Saturday, February 9, 2008

Donnie


Donnie and his friends did many things together. These are some of the things that I remember.

Ed, Red, and Fred (Eddie Holland, Donnie Vance, and Freddie Holman) were on the church basketball team. They had uniforms with those names on them and they thought it was cool.

Donnie was nicknamed "Stump". He and his friends had acquired some illicit beverages for boys their age. There was an old apple tree next to the house that had died. The tree was hollow. He placed the stash in the cavity of the tree thinking it was safe. Dad found his cache and decided to get rid of that old stump and set it on fire. The fire was enough to heat the concealed liquid and cause it to burst.

Donnie liked to hunt. One day he was emptying the 22 rifle in our parents' bedroom when a cartridge in the chamber discharged. The bullet went through the bed and into the wood floor.

4 comments:

Kent said...

Ed, Fred, and Red were pretty thick, weren't they? I don't know how Paul Sowards fit into that equation, but he did. I guess they couldn't find a way to make "Paul" rhyme with the others.

I remember a time too, that Don took that 22 and when he came home with it he didn't want to bee seen with it. He hid it. Maybe Don can tell us that story...

Danette said...

That's where corey got it from, it was in his blood. Corey was cleaning a gun in our home in Alamosa where he shot the ceiling. Very interesting. I will have to examine my past and hope and pray that what my kids get from my blood will be the things I choose. Ha, likely right? Especially with the curse my father gave me, "I hope your kids act just like you."

Red said...

The saying is that you pay for your raising when you raise your own. the reddog

Larry said...

What did Gatha do that she deserved us?